Friday, November 21, 2008

Election Response

Can I just say I was so sick to my stomache that night. I know the truth. God is still in control. He can use anyone, right? But, there is a grieving process with every loss.

I do have to say, that for the historical aspect of this election, I also cheer! I think it is awesome to have a black president (just didn't want it to be that particular man). There are a lot of wounds in our nation that need healed. I know God can really use this to help those in the prejudice dominated areas of our country realize that they cannot dominate forever - that they don't speak for the whole nation. I also pray it will dissolve the myth among our minorities that the whole nation is against them. There is much spiritual application to what has happened in our election - that the oppressed people, once held in bondage, now sit at the highest position in the land. Don't you rejoice in a God that can do that kind of thing?! I do.

Do I still get sick to my stomache when I have flashbacks of images from the news of churches full of believers weeping tears of joy that they finally have someone in office that stands against so many sacred principles of God's Word? YES!

The other aspect of this election is that I am convicted more and more of my own lack of involvement. I think it is easy to sit and rest when we feel that the one in office is safe. But now, there is much motivation to stand up, get involved, be active in change. I encourage Christians everywhere to not sit down whining about our doom, but rise up and get involved. Because....

The truth is: Change doesn't come with politics. Politics are a reflection of change. Obama isn't the one who is going to change everything. Obama was elected because the nation has changed. Change happens in hearts and hearts will elect leaders that reflect their hearts. So, there are those who will rest in the government and still expect them to not only change their world and improve their conditions - but expect them to be their giver of hope. Then there is me, and those like me, who know that no government can bear that responsibility or fulfill it for any culture. That is the job of the creator of the universe.

Let us not forget who sets up and tears down kingdoms and rulers. Let us not forget as 1 Peter 2 states that the our rulers are put in office to do justice to those who do evil, and to do good to those who are righteous. Let us pray that he doesn't overstep his role, but let us also keep our hope in the God of the universe.

Our job is to make disciples as we go, and if we were all doing that - we would never fear another election.

No comments: