Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Southern Gent

Over 15 years ago, I met a man that would change my life. He is my complete opposite in every way - which is probably why he stood out to me so much.

He was quiet, and rarely expressed his opinions. I...well..I had never met an opinion I didn't like to share.

He had a degree in fine art, pottery specifically. I didn't generally know one artist from another.

He was the baby of six. I, the oldest of 5.

He had four sisters (and a brother). I had four brothers.

He liked to do everything on the fly, and I liked things well planned out.

He was a night owl, and I an early bird.

He was was from the south. I was from the north.

....and that right there introduced three more pages of differences.

But I appreciate my Southern Gentlemen. He doesn't burp at the table. He treats me with respect. He says "Yes Ma'am" and "Yes Sir" to anyone he's addressing. He cares how he looks when he goes out in public, and he thinks I need a corsage on Mother's Day. (Did you know that southerners where different colors of flowers on Mother's Day to represent if their mom is living or has passed? I had no idea of such things.)

Most of all, I'm grateful that he has stuck with me. He has told me he loves me probably at least four times a day for the last 14 years. He's put up with me while God tamed my wild heart and taught me to show him respect. He's loved me through eight dress sizes and as many years of post-partum depression. We've been through our best and our worst together, and God knew how much I was going to need him.

Happy Birthday to my Beloved! I'm so grateful for you!

2 comments:

Taylor said...

This was a very sweet post. Happy Birthday to your husband!

Heather L. said...

Awesome, I love it.