Saturday, April 24, 2010

True Confessions

In North Idaho, it isn't uncommon to use your porch or your garage as an extra refrigerator in the winter. After all, it is usually colder out there than in your fridge. You can put an extra gallon of milk out there if your fridge is too full, etc.

After Thanksgiving, I cooked my turkey carcass in my stock pot to make soup. I made a big batch of creamy turkey soup and wanted to save the rest of the broth to make some clear soup later. I didn't have time to deal with it right then, and the fridge was quite full of leftover Thanksgiving dinner, SO I put the stock pot on the back porch...with a rock on top, so the dog wouldn't get into it.

Guess what I found on my porch early this spring?


Yep! Gross!

Guess who forgot to make the second batch of turkey soup?

The worst part is, after I discovered it, I certainly didn't want to take care of it. At the time, the lid was still on tightly, and you couldn't smell it. So I pretended it wasn't there...until today.

Today, I wanted to cook another turkey, and it would be sad to not be able to make turkey soup.

So, at my granny's advice, I sent a 10 year old off with a shovel, a pot of five month old soup, and the promise of a few dollars in his pocket. For fifty more cents, he even hosed it out for me. ☺

No comments: