Thursday, December 6, 2007

The magic of a Bookstore



After a very hectic morning, we went to a school Gingerbread House party. Using homemade powdered sugar icing, we attempted to build and decorate. The kids had a great time, but they'd rater eat it than use it to decorate for Christmas.

After dinner we headed for Borders. The Coeur d'Alene High School choir ensemble was singing carols, and author was there to read a portion of her newest Christmas book, and the store was passing out samples of mochas and cookie treats. The kids weren't near as impressed with the event as I thought they would be, so we went and sat at the coffee bar for a treat. I asked the ladies if they could make my boys some of those sample size drinks in mint hot cocoa, and they whipped them up right with whipped cream, chocolate drizzle, and crushed candy canes.







Ian, thinking he was getting a coffee treat, remarked about how good it was and then explained to Hayden that in heaven we would be able to drink as much coffee as we wanted. I've always worried that I wasn't passing my passions on to my kids. Guess so! :D

Also on the way tonight, we saw the word, "NOEL" in lights in someone's yard. The boys were sounding it out and asking what it meant. I really couldn't remember. Ian pondered a little while and said, "I think I know what it means. I think it means, "know stuff well."

In the world of writing...I was pondering some things tonight. I watched the book author at Borders struggle to sell herself. I felt her pain. She shared the interesting process it is to get into publishing. I identified. She read a little, but the kids there weren't paying any attention. She finally just kind of stopped and nervously giggled about how it wasn't really meant for the age of the kids who showed up. She was ready to sell and sign books. I think she sold one. I followed my boys to the back of the store and stared at all the shelves of books. How many books are lined up on those shelves. Every now and then, one is turned where a shopper can see the cover, and it might catch their eye. But most are just binding out, in a row, nothing to stand out. The shopper must be looking for a particular author to even notice them, really. I was immediately humbled. There are so many books in this world. There really isn't need for one more - unless God says there is a need - that the message is timely and valid. It is all up to Him!

But I also thought of something else. Some friends and I were talking today after one of those rather intense moments of fellowship, about how much we need each other's perspectives. It is so true. You see, as believers, we are like the books on those shelves. Some are just binding out, not real noticeable. A few are on display, with eye-catching covers. But every book has a whole story behind it's writing. Every author trudged a rocky path to get the book on the shelf. Each story says something different. Not one book is exactly like another book. MOST books have value and have a different way to enrich a reader's life.

There is something magical about a bookstore to me. I could stay for hours. I could spend every extra dime. But you would rarely go to a bookstore that just sold one book, or even a bookstore that only carried the work of one author. Even Dr. Suess only merits a small section - Eric Carle a shelf. One book doesn't make the store magical, but without each individual book, there would be no magic in the store. So it is with the individuals that make up the body of Christ. We are nothing on our own, but without the individuals there is no church.

So one more day of Christmas stuff still in the tubs and the tree sitting on the porch. There is always tomorrow! :D

1 comment:

Conniebee said...

This was probably my favorite of all your "blogging." Thank you for being such a wonderful example of "Christ-follower."