Monday, December 24, 2007

Perfect Plans and The Living Word

Does anyone remember Ally McBeal? I don't recommend the show for the content, but I loved its artistry. I am Ally McBeal, in a redeemed sort of way. Ha! Ha! I love the way she would picture the perfect scenario in her head and then the backward record zi-i-i-p sound would shake her back to reality and what was really happening.

This morning had a perfect beginning. My husband got up and showered, then woke me to let me know he had a fire ready for me in the fireplace. I got up and made a cup of hot, throat-soothing, green tea, helped my hubby pack up a plate of treats and write a card for his co-worker, moved the car seats, and then settled on the couch - in front of the fire- with my Bible- and my hot tea. Perfect!

But, alas, the treat tray shifted, a cookie broke. It all needed re-packed. In helping Bill with his rush to get out the door, the fire got out of control and filled the house with smoke. I rushed to open the door and fan the smoke out before the smoke alarm went off and woke all the children. Z-I-I-I-I-P!!! There went perfection. I plopped down on the couch in a smoke-filled room, with the door open to the 30 degree temperatures.

God was merciful to me this morning, and I was still able to spend some good time in the Word before the first little munchkin woke up. But the other scenario...kids up, smoke alarm going off, cold house, no quiet time...is the more typical event in the life of a mom whose heart is set on having time with God. The best plans and intentions often end up in frustration and shattered hopes. I think it is even harder on moms who work so hard to make time with God happen, and it is continually squashed. To make the sacrifice of getting up early to have that time, to have it slip from your hands like oil, often causes more anger than not having planned the time with God at all. Such is the point of my unpublished book.

So this is for all my weary mom friends: I was explaining to a friend this week who was hashing out with me her own feelings about the guilt that comes from not being in the Word like she wants to, and yet literally being almost physcially held back from the opportunity to do so. I was encouraging her, and I'd like to do it for you as well, to dwell on the Living Word. Jesus is the Word. He is the Living Word, the Word made flesh. God's Word is his breath, his thoughts, his council to us. But when the Living Word lives inside of you, He can breathe that same Word into you when you don't even have time to sit and read. Now, don't run away with this and think I'm someone who believes that whatever thought comes to your mind is from the Lord. But when your heart is seeking, when you are hungry and desperate to hear from Him, TELL HIM!! Ask Him questions. "Lord, I don't know how to handle this. What should I do?" "Lord, I'm torn to pieces about this, what do I do with my feelings?" "Lord, I'm angry right now, how do I be Christ to this person?!" God is spirit and we must worship Him in Spirit and truth. Don't be afraid to hear from Him through your Spirit. He is the Living Word, and He will answer Your questions. This isn't a substitute for being in God's Word. Because His Spirit will often help you recall Scripture you've learned before to answer your questions. If you are NEVER in the Word, there is nothing to recall. But, dwell on the Living Word.

Our pastor and worship team focused on John 1 this week in our Christmas services. I was once again soaked in these thoughts of the Living Word Who was in heaven with God and was God, Who had a hand in all of creation, Who became flesh to dwell among us, and breathes His Word into us. So for all of you who haven't been able to have a chance to curl up in front of the fire with your Bible yet today and are bouncing a fussy baby on your knee, take a minute to ask God to breathe into you - and then read this:

John 1 - Study This Chapter

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of men.

5 The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it. 6 There came a man who was sent from God; his name was John. 7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe. 8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light. 9 The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God-- 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God. 14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

15 John testifies concerning him. He cries out, saying, "This was he of whom I said, 'He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.'" 16 From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another. 17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known.


Soak it in!

Just for fun!
After three years, my trusty black leather, Rockport boots that I found for a buck at the Liberty Lake yard sales finally lost a heel. So this week has sent me on a mission to find something to replace them with. I've tried on more boots than I knew could exist, but my picky foot just doesn't adjust to much. I even found myself at Macy's surrounded by $120 pairs of shoes, drooling over designs and being reminded that I am indeed a Balzer. Having four babies increased my feet by 1-1/2 sizes and my 40 pair shoe collection that I entered marriage with quickly dwindeled to one or two trusty pair per season. So, the black boots are essential. My older, bigger, pickier feet, however, keep me from indulging in $120 pairs of heels. I only admire from afar, which is probaly a very good thing. I ended up at Ross, trying on every pair they had in several sizes. The thing about Ross, though, is that their shoes are looped together, so walking around is simply a Tim Conway shuffle. After narrowing down my options to two possibilities, I knew that I needed to wear them around the store for awhile to make sure they didn't start hurting after awhile. So, here I am, shuffling through the whole store to the tune of "Happy Holidays" over the loud speakers. I couldn't resist adding a little hop every now and then, knowing I already looked ridiculous anyway - and some of you still think I have it all together!

Also, in Ross, I have to add that I first returned another pair of boots that I didn't have time to shuffle around in at the store. I got in line, and there was an older man in line in front of me who was buying very young, hip, women's clothing. I was really impressed, thinking in my head what a great eye he has to pick these things out all by himself and how impressed the giftee will be with his taste -and his thoughtful effort, etc...when his wife joined him at the register from another part of the store and completed the transaction. zi-i-i-i-p!

Date Night
Bill surprised me this week by anouncing we were going on a date and he had even arranged childcare!! So after work Saturday, he came and picked me up. I surprised *him* by implementing something I learned from my "For Women Only" book about the need for our men to see effort on our part about our appearance. I had found a couple of steals at Ross to go with the new black boots and excitedly surprised him. Stacy (aka "childcare" and great friend) added to the outfit by gifting me with a beautiful cream wrap. Bill had gotten a few gift cards this year from his employers, so we went to Bonsai Bistro (an Asian restaurant). It was there I decided my calling was to be a food critic and write columns for newspapers.

Bonsai Bistro
Very few restaurants can compete with the Bonsai for view and atmosphere. Where else can you go and feel like you are almost sitting outside over the town, be surrounded by Christmas lights, watch the ice skaters glide across South Pole Skating Village, and be taken in by the serenity of the snow dusted mountains and sleepy lake? The view, comes at a small comfort price, though, as the windows also allow the reality of the winter chill to envelop you. Bonsai goes for a very mellow, dark atmosphere, which they believe to be relaxing; and the power surging of the lights was I'm sure was not their fault, but a bit distracting. I would recommend that if you are vision impaired, that you bring your own reading light to decifer the menu.

Which brings about the menu...So many choices! What a spread! I was grateful for our thoughtful and energetic server who cheerfully gave his favorite recommendations. Bill followed his advice and ordered a house specialty, General Tso's Chicken. It was delic! I regretably decided to play it safe and ordered something I was more familiar with, Almond Cashew Chicken. It was also good, but the wow factor was missing.

We laughed about the music. To us, music is part of the experience. In an Asian restaurant, I simply expect Asian music. So we were amused by the almost blaring, jazzy, easy listening something or other competing with the vocal exercises of the overly joyous bartender.

We capped off our night with something unique: Green Tea Ice Cream, a very creative way to say "dessert" Asian style - since the Asian world is so much better about not having dessert at all. Ever had a Green Tea Frap at Starbucks? Freeze it solid, and there you have it. Very good.

Overall, I give the Bonsai about 4 stars out of 5...but as most experiences, the company always adds the last star. Thank you, Bill.

...and for the rest...
After the Bonsai we headed over to the resort, just to be apart of the Christmas experience. We sat in the place we sat some twelve years ago to DTR (define the relationship), and how he needed to talk to my dad if he had any intentions towards me. Then we moved by the fire just to enjoy the atmosphere, and the overly-tired, working parents syndrome set in. We both began to nod off. So as quickly as we came, we left and drove around the beach to see Christmas lights. I was a little dissappointed. No one puts up lights anymore! I can't complain too much. We didn't either, but isn't there some town policy that if you live in the old, historic parts of town, or on the beach, that you have to put up lights and add to the festive spirit of the season? I guess part of the problem is that half the people who have enough money to live in those areas only live there in the summer. I think CDA should enstate a new law that snowbirds must hire decorators to light up their houses in the winter, so the local residents are not penalized by their half-commitment to the beauty of North Idaho. O.K. Totally joking...but its an idea.
All in all, we had a great time. The snow was softly falling, Stacy loaned us her car, so we felt like adults - but we stayed out 'til midnight like we were kids. - Very fun!

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas! Bill left for work at 7 a.m. and will go straight from work to church where he will sing in three Christmas Eve services, and we will join him for one. The kids and I are trying to get ourselves together to join the family for the day. Everyone is here! We enjoyed having three of the bros over for dinner and games and a little DDR (too fun!) last night. It is great to be together!

1 comment:

Mother Superior said...

Haha, I hear you on the ziiip thing. Half of my Christmas company showed up an hour and a half after the time I said I would be *serving* dinner. Ziiiip!!