Saturday, February 9, 2008

Heavenly Father, Help us remember that the jerk who cut us off in traffic last night is a single mother who worked nine hours that day and is rushing home to cook dinner, help with homework, do the laundry and spend a few precious moments with her children.

Help us to remember that the pierced, tattooed, disinterested young man who can't make change correctly is a worried 19-year-old college student, balancing his apprehension over final exams with his fear of not getting his student loans for next semester.

Remind us, Lord, that the scary looking bum, begging for money in the same spot every day (who really ought to get a job!) is a slave to addictions that we can only imagine in our worst nightmares.

Help us to remember that the old couple walking annoyingly slow through the store aisles and blocking our shopping progress are savoring this moment, knowing that, based on the biopsy report she got back last week, this will be the last year that they go shopping together.

Heavenly Father, remind us each day that, of all the gifts you give us, the greatest gift is love. It is not enough to share that love with those we hold dear. Open our hearts not to just those who are close to us, but to all humanity. Let us be slow to judge and quick to forgive, show patience, empathy and love.


This is just an e-mail thing going around, but I really appreciate it.

In the past, I've often felt that Christians were more critical and judgemental than others. It seemed to me that those that don't know the Lord were more "tolerant" of others. But, God has allowed me new experiences...which has changed my beliefs and feelings - and actions. I'm a part of a church now that realizes that we are all unfinished people. We all need the Lord, and we're all in a different stage of the process. My church is loving and supportive and yet doesn't tolerate sin. I'm grateful to be a part of a church that truly emphasizes that the world will know Who we belong to by our love for each other. SO, anyway, all that to say that God is testing me in new ways as I re-enter the secular workplace that I haven't been a part of since I was maybe 19. I'm now seeing how different it is to be surrounded by those who have different goals. I consider myself pretty strong in my faith, and still find myself often drained by my environment. God is giving me a whole new appreciation for those who spend day in and day out with countless people who challenge their values and faith...and He's showing me how out of touch I have been. It's all good, but I could certainly use prayer to know how to relate, even begin conversations...how to react as the "new girl" when I'm disturbed by conversations. It's all new to me. I can't just say, "God's Word says..." :D I'm totally out of my element, so every night seems exhausting....and I really don't have energy to spare. Thanks for lifting me to the Father! :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was the truck in an accident? If so is everyone okay? Good thoughts, Angela, on looking past the outside and thinking twice about what's underneath! We know what is underneath in our own lives, and that should help us to see what is going on in others lives...should, but it's also easy to focus on our own problems and miss what is right in front of us...I mean me! XO