Saturday, February 16, 2008

Valentines ...and all that jazz

I'm feeling a bit giddy and don't even quite know what to do with myself. I thought I was going to be rushing out the door this morning to take my kids somewhere, and J & M came and got them and took them away. :D The house is quiet. Bill is working on the shower. I snuck too the couch with my Bible and read and read some more and looked up some cross references and got caught up in Zechariah where I never ever find myself and rabbit trailed here and there about the last days and God's sense of time. If found myself caught up in Exodus 12 in a passage that caught my eye a few weeks ago. You see, on Friday nights I do storytelling for our 3-5th grade discipleship group. We use the orality method of storytelling. Basically, telling the story straight - no additions or research ideas, etc. It is more difficult than you might think to retell a Bible story just as it is written without adding all the things you've studied or researched or been taught by some history buff over the years. But anyway, a few weeks ago we studied the passover and the exodus and I was struck by Ex 12:41-42

"At the end of the 430 years, to the very day, all the Lord's divisions left Egypt. Because the Lord kept vigil that night to bring them out of Egypt, on this night all the Israelites are to keep vigil to honor the Lord for the generations to come."


I'm awestruck by a God who stayed up and kept watch as His people were delivered from exile. Interesting that the Scripture would make special note that God was intently staying up and watching over them. We know He always is when we stop to think about it, but this time God wanted us to remember without any doubt, that He is the God who is intrinsically involved in the details of our deliverance. He isn't laying somewhere asleep while we struggle through our issues. He doesn't get up in the morning and check on us and see what progress we made while He was "off-duty." He is the God Who keeps vigil.

Then there is the call to keep vigil ourselves to honor Him for all generations. I'm not sure I understand the depths of this passage, but it has me intrigued and wanting to dig deeper...and that's a good thing.

The truck

Many have asked, and I thought I'd already said something - but I don't know what I've said the last few weeks. Life is crazy! Yes, Bill's truck was in an accident. Someone slid into him in the snow. It wasn't horribly damaged - just enough to consider it totalled because of it's age/mileage, etc. In the end, it works out fine. Bill wasn't hurt. We'd been trying to sell the truck. Now it is sold. We are "downgrading" to a baby car (the kind that has my husband really bemoaning the loss of his manly truck and my son touting how embarrassed he will be if we take him to school in it) and using the funds to catch up other places right now. I'm proud of Bill. He made the decision. No pressure from me. I guess I should be proud of myself, too, for staying out of it. Bill has really handled this entire mess himself, and I've only given feedback when asked. Yeah for both of us!

...and other updates

I'm still working for a doctor's office 3-4 shifts a week, trying to finish a year of homeschooling, researching school choices for next year, going through a big personal growth process with a series of Cloud and Townsend books, and praying through what I'm able to handle minsitry-wise right now.

Bill shoveled lots of roofs until the snow begin to melt a little. This week he began doing some tile for a tile crew he's worked for in the past. This should carry him through until the golf course puts him on.

The kids are great and have stayed healthy. We escaped from the dentist this time with all four kids being cavity free!

We had a moose in our hard this week! There have been a few sightings even in Spokane this week. In the scramble and excitement we got a little video footage, but no still shots I can post - only hoof prints later.





Valentines
My husband surprised me the night before Valentines with little gifts here and there. I got things ready on the table in the morning for everyone. A gift for Bill, cards and a couple treats for each boy, and was humbled by what ended up at my place: flowers from Bill, a mug and chocolates from the boys.



My favorite part of Valentines this year was the cards. Bill did such a great job picking out cards that really are meaningful after this year. I wouldn't normally share, but this time I will.

From the boys...

A mother's love...
what could be more important to the heart?
For holding small hands with your gentle protection,
fixing a hurt with such loving affection...
For keeping your family safe and secure but still knowing how to let go...
For all the attention and care you've provided,
the tears that you've dried and decisions you've guided..
For putting your family first in your heart,
you're loved more than you'll ever know.


From Bill...

We fell in love
not to shock anybody,
but because we couldn't help ourselves.
We wrapped our lives up together
not to make a statement,
but because we knew this was right.
And it doesn't take much
to remind me or our reasons why:
You walk into the room,
I go falling again.
I can't help myself..
It's still so right.


Mine to Bill....

You still make my heart race.
You still make me blush.
You still take my breath away.
You're still the one.


sigh. mush. sap. :D

They really made me feel loved.

We did our annual cookie decorating. I made a big batch of homemade butter icing (pink). I bought a red can of stuff to add touches. The boys finished the can and barely touched all the stuff I made. Anybody need any pink frosting?



Riley later cut out a bunch of big hearts. One whole piece of construction paper for ever letter he needed to write a message to me. He snuck away to my bedroom to "put them up" and later came up in tears. He explained that the tape was lost, and he was trying to use his spit to stick the hearts to my mirror, but they kept falling down.

So much more I want to say. So many stories from the week in my mind and on my heart - but the time clock at work won't wait for me. Hopefully, I can be back here soon! :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mushy valentines and mushy moose prints...looks like your life is mushy at the moment! Fun and mushy! XO