Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The God Who Cannot Deny Himself

"...if we are faithless, He will remain faithful, for He cannot disown himself." 2 Timothy 2:13

Very few verses in Scripture touch me like this one. In fact, I'm tearing up now.

Can I just be honest here? I've really been struggling with my faith lately. Not altogether - just one particular area, one that I seem to cycle through over and over. I've been pouring my heart out to God like a spilled pitcher of cranberry juice. Why cranberry juice? Because it is the color of my bleeding heart. It leaves behind a messy, sticky, staining residue. Okay, I'm a bit strange, but that is the picture that comes to my mind.

Sometimes when I struggle with God, I then start to beat myself up a bit. "Where is your faith!!??" I'm often tempted to believe the lie that He cannot act on my behalf unless I have enough faith...that somehow I can change His character. Isn't that ridiculous?... Read More

Then comes this verse. No matter how faithless we are, He cannot deny His own character. He will always be faithful, reliable, sure, trustworthy. It is just Who He is. Period.

No comments: