Monday, September 7, 2009

What to hold on to?

"You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary. Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love." Revelation 2:3-4

I've been slowly working through Beth Moore's study on the life of John. Last night, I read this passage. She made a point that was absolutely profound, so today I want to share it with you.

The word for "forsaken" here, is the same word translated "forgive" many other places. It is that word that means to let go, abandon, give up, desert, cancel, leave behind. Sometimes it can mean to divorce.

We can do that with the offenses others have committed against us. Or we can actually do it to the offender. We kind of choose.

When others hurt us, Jesus immediately invites us to go deeper with him. The rejection of others is always met with an invitation from Him.


How often, however, do we (as Beth says), "forsake our first love - our indescribably glorious sacred romance - because we refuse to forsake our grudges and grievances. Please allow me to say this with much compassion as one who has been there: We cannot hang on to our sacred romance with Jesus Christ and also our bitterness. We will release one to hang on to the other."

Wow!

This week, my family is once again making the choice. What do we hold on to? The grudges? The people? The intimacy with God?

I've never thought about it quite like this before. So challenging!

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Wow! What a humbling and thought provoking post. Thank you, I needed to hear that.