Sunday, October 26, 2008

Ups and Downs and In Betweens

Today was the day I've feared for years. The day I would get on the golf course for the first time - not just to walk or ride in the cart - but to actually play. I wasn't afraid of the course or the clubs or the game. I was afraid of myself. I was afraid I would like it. My fears were confirmed. You see, golf is expensive, and I have known all along that we couldn't afford for more than one of us to enjoy the hobby. However, since I can now enjoy free golf and club rental, I can no longer use that excuse. So for this summer, I simply told Bill that he better not let me play because I might be better than him. Well...I wasn't today, but there is still potential.

Today started out with our usual pancakes, but Daddy was home! (The first Sunday morning we've had with him in awhile.) Then we loaded up to enjoy an employee golf day at the course, since the course closed yesterday for the season. I didn't make it to the van, though, before I experienced one of my favorite things ever. I wish I could post video here. Today was the day that the leaves decided to fall. It was like rain. They just sprinkled down. The sun was shining. Our whole yard was glowing gold. I just stood there under the trees with my eyes closed and listened to the drop all around me. Then I filmed a little. In the van, we tried to think of a good name for the day that the leaves fall. It was narrowed down to "American Fall" and "Falltastic!"

We played a few holes of golf with the kids. One of my other favorite sounds besides raining leaves, raining drops, and the patter of little feet across the floor, is the sound of the metal face of a club striking the ball. The sound is even sweeter when you make it yourself! We had a great time!

By the time we got home, our lawn was thick with gold leaves. Riley brought a friend home and all the boys raked for awhile, so they could have jumping piles.

This week has been a big mixture of emotions. I've seen God's tenderness and and blessings, and we've begun to also prepare for hard times. The week begun by finding out that I will begin working from home very soon. That is good news for me, mostly. I will miss spending the day with the girls. But I will not miss the commute or the gas usage. It will be nice to not have to take a day off when kids get sick, and to have an extra hour and a half or so in my day.

I went to the dentist this week. My mouth always seems to baffle and amaze the dental community. This week was no exception. There are thousands of dollars of periodontal work that needs done on my mouth. But it is painful, time consuming, and expensive...and in the past has not been very successful. This week, however, God provided something I'd been praying for - but not with much faith. I'd been praying, but not really expecting it would really happen. The dentist mentioned that he was in a periodontal study group and thought my mouth would be a good test case. He offered to present my case and felt that if I was willing to have lots of dentist look at pictures and discuss the case, and be involved in the work - that we could probably get the rest of it done for pretty much the cost of the supplies!! Wow! Thank you, Jesus!

I also got a treat in the mail this week. I was thinking all week how bad I needed a haircut. I haven't had one since probably January or so. The Lord didn't just provide a haircut, but a gift certificate for a haircut AND a pedicure - from the sweet friend who cut my hair last. I was amazed.

...and then the downs...The golf course was instructed by the resort owner to make severe cuts. The mall store will not happen this Christmas, and Bill is laid off already. We weren't sure it would happen at all this year, and certainly not until after Christmas. We are praying through our options, and would appreciate your prayers too.

1 comment:

Mother Superior said...

I will be praying that God *WOWS* you with his faithfulness during these uncertain times.

I remember something Gary Fraley said that is such a good reminder, "God always provides for us, and sometimes He uses a job to do it."

Hugs.