Friday, October 10, 2008

Why do I convince myself?

It was Wednesday afternoon. I get off work early two days a week and decided I would take advantage of this to take my kids to the largest pumpkin patch around - the Walmart parking lot. I know it isn't as sentimental as loading up and going to your local farm and buying apple dumplings, taking hay rides, and having your picture made with a scarecrow. BUT the price of gas - and pumpkins with a prestigous farm pedigree are something to consider. So off we went. For $3.25 each, my kids got to pick out whatever pumpkin they wanted. Of course we had to dig to the very, very, bottom of several boxes just to make sure they hadn't passed up the best option, but in 15 minutes time, we were done!

However, inside the store it wasn't so easy. I just needed a couple of things, but an hour and a half later, I was convinced that I would probably indeed starve to death inside my local Walmart store.

Every time I started to the checkout line, one of my considerate children reminded me of something else that we REALLY needed or something I PROMISED I would get the next time I went to the store. They were usually right.

The real trouble started, though, when I got in line. If you happened to catch an unruly child break-dancing in the floor of the checkout line on Wednesday night at the Post Falls Walmart, you know where I was. The boys were being good, but let's face it. Noone should stand in line that long. It was a good thing that I wasn't buying any camping supplies, or I probably would have just started setting up a site right there in line just to make a point. In fact, I think we could have probably carved our pumpkins before we left the store.

The really sad part, was that Bill had graciously gone for dog food earlier in the day, so that I wouldn't have to take all the kids to the store.

Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy,could I EVER identify! Another one would be ....when you can't tell whether the floor has tile or carpet in their room--BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SEE THE FLOOR!!