Saturday, October 17, 2009

Laundry Piles, Pumkpin Pie, and Hope

It is a dark, gloomy-loomy day in North Idaho. But there is a pork roast in the crock-pot, rolls in the bread machine, and an apple pie in the oven; so how bad can it be?

Today I feel a bit like I've been on a ten mile hike uphill. But I haven't, I assure you. I don't do those sorts of things. I really miss my masseuse and back-cracker. But I'm hoping he will come back soon.

So after another week of a broken dryer and kids with the flu, here is what my house looked like after work on Friday afternoon.














Even the laundry chute opened itself spontaneously and begin to throw up on the basement floor.



I would show you after pictures, but I don't know when after will happen. I did, however, clean our room today - which is great because it is usually the room I put off until last because no one ever sees it, right? I plan to actually sleep in it tonight now that I can get to the bed....and the new, cozy flannel sheets are on it!



I was so proud of my work. I actually vacuumed under the bed, vacuumed out the window sills, cleaned behind the nightstand (and found two tubes of lip balm!), changed the sheets, removed all the dirty laundry AND dusted. When I was finished, I led my Superman (aka crippled masseuse and back cracker) by the hand into our room to show off my hard work. He stood there like a man whose wife had just cut off 12 inches of her hair and asked, "Notice anything different." "umm...." he looked all over. ""I know I'm supposed to notice something."

He got a slap on the rear for that!

I wasn't in the best of moods yesterday afternoon. Friday just seems to be a long day. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that I have a child to deliver to school at 12:15, two to pick up at 1:15, one to pick up at 2:35, and one to pick up at 3:15...all while I'm miraculously at work. I did have help yesterday. Aunt Michelle swooped in with baby Audrey and took care of the first two time periods. However, I'm always scrambling to get out the door for church by 4:30, and just never seem to get it all taken care of in time.

Bill stayed home last night with Riley and begged that I come home in a better mood than I left in. I assured him that after I finished my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart with three boys around 10 p.m., I was assured to be in a better mood.

As sarcastic as that was, I did come home in a better mood. I love my church! I love my pastor! I love the children's ministry team I work with, and I love doing Fast Pass.

Last week, our pastor made a plea to our congregation to help raise funds to get 300 Ethiopian pastors to a conference that several of our staff are going to do there soon. He knew that many of us were going through hard times, but asked we just give what we could. Mind you, we have five weekend services to put buckets at the door. But last night as we prayed over the team we're sending to Ethiopia, we were blessed to find out that the body had given $58,000 last weekend. We only needed $6,000. I can only imagine what all the other $52,000 will go for. Amazing!

We made it through Wal-Mart without any major hitches. I don't normally take pictures in Wal-Mart, but was amazed by the children's pain/fever reliever shelf that seemed to show the severity of the sickness going on around here.



Before I left home, I had managed to get a pumpkin pie in the oven. I was a little nervous leaving as my Superman is much better at dryer repair than he is in the kitchen. My fears were confounded when I came home to this:



But after peeling off the black parts, it was really tasty. I guess the three hours of pumpkin scooping and cooking paid off. AND my pumpkin came with a sticker that told me how to make a pie. I wouldn't have tried it, but it called for very different ingredients than Libby does. Ironically I didn't have any evaporated milk, but I had condensed milk. I didn't have four eggs, but I did have two. So this recipe was perfect and yummy:

So Easy Pumpkin Pie:

1-1/3 c. smooth pumpkin
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 egg
1-1/4 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. ginger
1/4 t. cloves
1 c. hot water

Pour into 9" pie shell. Bake at 375 for 55-65 minutes.

What I'm grateful for today:
  1. Pumpkin Pie
  2. Apple Pie
  3. A husband who had the wisdom to save the $20 we had to spend on another Thrift Store dryer and come home and try one more time. Superman saved the day again! (Still waiting on Wonder Woman to show up and do the laundry.)
  4. That none of the flu going around here has been the kind that involved bodily functions that created more laundry for my broken dryer.
  5. That God is providing for all of Bill's previous medical bills, so we can start fresh with this last surgery. That gives me more hope than I've had in a long time. I was actually amazed when I begin putting all of the expenses in table form to show what all we've already paid off or gotten the agencies to settle for. All year I've been thinking we weren't making any progress on anything. Truth is, we've paid off thousands and made arrangements to have thousands more taken off. Its just that we keep having to do it over again and gain more bills. So it FEELS like zero progress.
Well, that's more than enough for now. I'm amazed if anyone has read all the way down to here. Time to go fill in for Wonder Woman and tackle some of that laundry.

1 comment:

Connie Brandel said...

I just love you and your commitment to keep going. You are such a joy to me. I can identify. Been there before a few times. You will be prepared for whatever comes, because God has strengthened you over the years.

Mom