Tuesday, October 27, 2009

True Story

This is my day:

I got to work and promptly fell on this ice. I laid there for a minute - half stunned, half wondering if I could move - and mostly upset that I spilled my coffee. I did get up. No major injuries. I'm sure I will have a very colorful bruise on my hip tomorrow, and I did remove a nice patch of skin from my elbow. (do you realize how many times a day you brush your elbow against something?)

However, I had a very productive day at work and had no other tragedies until I left, when I then somehow again spilled my coffee - this time all over me. I was literally soaked. My pants were soaked. My shoes were soaked. My car seat, steering wheel, and keys were all full of coffee. I really don't know how I manage sometimes.

Anyway...on to home. I had a phone interview at 3:30 that involved the government. I sat locked up in my bedroom with my phone next to me and waited and waited. Finally at 4:00, I called the 800 number to find out what to do when no one calls you for your appointment. I was on hold so long, I started to just drive to their office. Someone finally answered and confirmed it was a good plan to drive to their office.

I get to the office and explain:

Me: I had an interview at 3:30, but didn't get a call. So what do I do now?
Government lady (I know she is a person, but I will protect her name): Picks up phone, "Hey 'government man', do you remember what happened with your 3:30 appointment?
Government man: "Ya, I called three times and it was busy. The last time I got voice mail."
Me: Could you confirm my phone number, because you don't get a busy signal when you call me. I have call waiting, and I wasn't on the phone, and I don't have any voice mails. See. Here is my call log.
Government lady: Repeats my number to me absolutely correctly and then says, "Well, we can get you in for an interview on Friday."
Me: Stare.
Government lady: "Let me call a supervisor." Picks up phone and dials. "Ya, I have a lady here who had a 3:30 appointment. We tried to call her three times, but it was busy and then we got voice mail. She said she didn't get any calls and wasn't aware her phone had problems. Now she is here and wants to be seen. Um huh. ya. Ok., so just schedule her for Friday." Turns to me. "I can get you in on Friday."
Me: "Do you guys leave a voice message if you get voice mail."
Government lady: "Depends." "We can work you in tomorrow if you want to come and wait. Do you have anything going on in the morning."
Me: "Um, yes. I have a job. (DUH!)....and I worked my schedule around this appointment today."
Government lady: "Well, you can wait 'til Friday if you want."

Needless to say, I came home feeling a bit beat up by the world, with one giant headache (which I still have), wanting to be held, and hide from the mean old world. However, I did just finish a cup of hot tea and an hour and a half with the One Who is Worthy of Worship. So, I'm hoping I sleep well....and tomorrow will be better.

I listened to a Leeland interview on the way to work this morning. This song really blessed me. One thing I can be assured of through the tough times that Bill and I have gone through, I sure have compassion for those who are facing tough times - and get my feathers a bit ruffled when the poor are taken advantage of. Quite ruffled, actually.

(To view this, look to the left and hit pause on the music player, then hit play on the video. :D )

1 comment:

Shellie Paparazzo said...

Thank you for this Angela. I have definitely just had one of those weeks where nothing seems to go right and no one gets me. I don't even get me. It's really hard to tell someone what you need when you don't even know. I need Jesus to come back and fix this mess, RIGHT NOW! That's what I need!